WE ARE / The Cultural Impact Lab. We exist to engineer culture. We’re experimenters and amplifiers at our core, blending PR, strategic storytelling and ideation, paid/earned/shared/owned media expertise, cultural listening, and creative executional tactics to generate conversations that make the work famous.
YOU ARE / A story hunter, thrilled by a lead and even more excited with landing an impactful one. A strategic thinker. A quality writer — you value the craft of storytelling and have used it to both amplify and humanize. A proactive spirit, someone unafraid of risks or standing in the gap. A skilled communicator. An empathetic listener. A lover of culture.
YOUR BASELINE / You can speak to strong, steadied editorial writing craft (6+ years preferably). You have a working knowledge of publishing, content management and analytics/listening tools. You’ve taken on different tones of voices to tell the best story across content.
YOUR IMPACT / You’ll:
• Work alongside some of Martin’s brightest to build an editorial content discipline from the ground up
• Help shape how Martin shows up in the world through purpose-led external storytelling initiatives
• Build and cultivate authentic press relationships that keep us in the know and our partners in the fight
This role will report to our director of brand purpose communications.
Make you wanna join the fight? Read on for more details.
In the Cultural Impact Lab, we exist to engineer culture.
We believe you can indeed bottle fame and brew glory — but to be seen, heard and buzzed about in this noisy world of ours takes work.
We’re a brand-new model for what engineering that cultural buzz can be — that electric energy generated around brands, zeitgeist moments and cultural movements. Harnessed the right way, it can be a loudspeaker for the best creative ideas and the vehicle that carries brand messages to stardom. We put culture and buzz at the heart of everything we make.
Our brand communications arm is in an awesome period of growth and opportunity. We work together to celebrate Martin’s people and clients—whether in a long-form article, a tweet, a SXSW stage moment or an awards show writeup.
We’re growing full steam ahead and are looking for a Senior Editorial Writer to match our momentum and join us in telling some of the world’s most impactful stories. That’s where you come in.
- You’ll help shape the editorial practice at Martin. Together with our director of brand purpose communications, you’ll develop owned/earned content strategy and forge intentional press relationships to grow our agency’s network outside of our discipline. You’ll shape our press journey for our people and for our creative work, exploring what topics and trades to pursue to highlight creative campaigns and the people behind them.
- You’ll become one of Martin’s greatest storytellers. You’ll crusade on behalf of our agency’s culture, mixing original editorial content development, qualitative and quantitative research, and active listening to champion our cultural impact and work against invisibility. On any given day this could look like conducting solo interviews with Martin employees, clients and industry leaders; partnering with brand communications to develop consistent and engaging editorial content; and using your deep press relationships to find real-time, relevant opportunities to amplify Martin’s people and culture for original content development and submission research gathering efforts.
- You’ll help a small but mighty team grow in both its strength and reach. With you on the team, brand comms can generate more original content that protects Martin’s uniqueness and develops its identity separate from the rest. You’ll partner with our team in crafting the types of pitches that land our stories in publications and our people on the biggest of stages. You’ll also streamline and assist in the award submission process, interviewing internal subject matter experts for write-ups and using your craft to create submissions that honor our people.
- You’ll deliver trend reports and content recommendations. Our team will look to you to create ongoing, insightful reports that track trends and provide points of view on ways to optimize during planning sessions.
- Strong media relations, journalistic writing and investigative reporting skills (6+ years is a good marker)
- Examples of taking on an agency/company/brand’s tone of voice and translating that across a variety of written mediums (editorial, award submissions, internal communications, etc.)
- Familiarity with publishing, content management and analytics/listening tools
- Not required, but a familiarity with collaboration tools like Trello is a plus
- A pop culture lover who knows what it takes to get attention
- A cultivator of intentional, genuine relationships
- Someone who can get things done, ready to take calculated risks if the reward is purpose-led
- A strong communicator (both written and conversationally), collaborator and negotiator
- A problem-solver and strategic thinker
- Determined and can hyperfocus on details and deadlines for many projects
- A lover of details and have interesting organizational tricks for keeping track of them
- A convincing presenter who can sell story ideas or inspire interest
- A multitasker and nimble worker by nature — we move at the pace of culture and no day is the same as the last