We are currently seeking a Design Operations Manager to join our team. We are passionate about keeping our design teams well managed so that they can deliver world-class products that redefine our customers’ day-to-day activities.
The Design team at Capital One is at the forefront of enriching our customers’ digital and physical experiences. We champion a thriving environment of collaboration, authenticity, and healthy critique, in which we honor diversity of thought, create a culture of belonging, and elevate one another. If you’re an innovator and storyteller who embraces an environment where you can experiment, learn, and change banking for good, we would love to hear from you.
The Platform Design Team
We’re a team of passionate human-centered designers who aren’t afraid of data and technology. We work on connecting things behind the scenes to make ideal associate experiences possible, by modeling how Capital One’s dynamic platforms, data, and touch-points work in concert.
We’re part of the Data Experience Design team, who are making real-time, intelligent, frictionless associate experiences possible by connecting new technology, a humanistic outlook, and an operating model that can all work together within a culture that’s down to learn and explore. We’re doing this by designing the integrated ecosystem that our associates live and breathe every day.
Our Design Operations Managers are an integral part of the design team and have a big impact on the work we do. To join our team, you will need to have a strong background in design management for digital products, have experience managing large-scale programs, have excellent communication skills, and be able to flex from being strategic to tactical. You should be capable of managing the operation of the full design process from concept exploration, to research, all the way through to the delivery of experiences that benefit our customers and employees. You will need to be comfortable with ambiguity in the face of design and operations challenges, and know how to move toward the right solution as part of a team.
What You’ll Do:
You’ll be asked to handle a variety of responsibilities, including:
Collaboration & Connection
- Leading the business side of the design process for products and services, from concept to delivery
- Partnering with design leads to coordinate and prioritize initiatives and resources, including resource planning and allocation
- Encouraging innovation and helping shape and manage effective and efficient design teams
- Advocating for prioritization of design centered product enhancements grounded in research and analysis
- Evangelizing the impact of design with business partners by embracing and advocating for an experience design mindset
- Building and maintaining strong working relationships by collaborating with technology, product, and business teams to uncover customer and business needs
- Participating in the design process (e.g., stakeholder interviews, research, analysis, and work session facilitation) as necessary
- Driving momentum by keeping the overall work portfolio and team on track
- Working with partners and teams across various geographies and facilitating workflow of co-located groups
- Connecting with design community peers by learning, sharing, and teaching, as well as participating in the internal Community of Practice
Discovery & Delivery
- Overseeing the strategic and tactical prioritization of design initiatives and workflows
- Determining and implement process improvements
- Maintaining a well managed design team and project oversight by:
- Overseeing and managing team structure (e.g., hiring and onboarding employees, managing contractors and vendors, balancing attrition)
- Managing changes to scope, design, and delivery schedules to meet business needs with available resources
- Communicating status, issues, and forecasts to stakeholders and ensuring work is aligned to company, organizational, and team imperatives and goals
- Identifying and managing risks and mitigation plans
- Monitoring and balancing overall project health and team satisfaction
- Creating and managing team and cross collaboration processes
- Creating and implementing measurement plans and ensuring quality for successful delivery
- Bachelor’s degree
- At least 3 years’ experience with program, project management, producing, or scrum
- At least 1 year experience with Google G Suite, and project management tool-set
- Comfortable managing cross-channel and highly complex experiences
- Comfortable working with Product and Tech partners
- Direct experience working with design or creative teams
- Familiarity with agile principles and project management methodologies and tools
- At least 6 years of experience with program, project management, producing, or scrum
- At least 6 years of experience eliciting cooperation from a wide variety of sources at all levels within an organization
- Familiarity with of design, research, quality processes, and business relationship management
At this time, Capital One will not sponsor a new applicant for employment authorization for this position.
No agencies please. Capital One is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, color, age, national origin, religion, physical and mental disability, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/assignment, citizenship, pregnancy or maternity, protected veteran status, or any other status prohibited by applicable national, federal, state or local law. Capital One promotes a drug-free workplace. Capital One will consider for employment qualified applicants with a criminal history in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable laws regarding criminal background inquiries, including, to the extent applicable, Article 23-A of the New York Correction Law; San Francisco, California Police Code Article 49, Sections 4901-4920; New York City’s Fair Chance Act; Philadelphia’s Fair Criminal Records Screening Act; and other applicable federal, state, and local laws and regulations regarding criminal background inquiries.
If you have visited our website in search of information on employment opportunities or to apply for a position, and you require an accommodation, please contact Capital One Recruiting at 1-800-304-9102 or via email at RecruitingAccommodation@capitalone.com. All information you provide will be kept confidential and will be used only to the extent required to provide needed reasonable accommodations.
For technical support or questions about Capital One’s recruiting process, please send an email to Careers@capitalone.com
Capital One does not provide, endorse nor guarantee and is not liable for third-party products, services, educational tools or other information available through this site.
Capital One Financial is made up of several different entities. Please note that any position posted in Canada is for Capital One Canada, any position posted in the United Kingdom is for Capital One Europe and any position posted in the Philippines is for Capital One Philippines Service Corp. (COPSSC).